NEWS: March 25th, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
Playtests and Sneak-peaks!
We had some quick playtests of the latest code on
remakes of maps one and two and we got a lot more suggestions and ideas!
At this point it looks like Gridiron 3.0 will have a LOT of things to
look forward to and if all goes smoothly, more playtests next weekend!
Keep an eye out here on the site for more! Now, for a few screenshots
of the map remakes for Gridiron 3.0 and many thanks to the testers!
Gridiron Map1 (The First Gridiron) Snapshots
Gridiron Map2 (Rainbow Bridge) Snapshots
NEWS: March 21st, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
Notes: Macs, Versions and Progress...
We have gotten a few Emails over the last month
concerning a few things we have yet to address directly on the website
and thought it needed a news post:
1. Q3 Gridiron requires you have Quake3 v1.27g or v1.27h (preferrably
v1.27h) to run properly. If you do not have Quake3 Arena v1.27g or h,
then you will will get an unexpected version 3 instead of 4 error when
trying to run Gridiron v2.36.
2. Q3 Gridiron will run on the Mac as it is compiled as VMs and not DLLs,
just be sure to download the ZIP files and extract with folders to your
Quake3 folder and all should be peachy.
As for progress on Gridiron 3.0, we have implemented quite a few of the
list of items listed in our previous news item below. We will be wanting
to have extensive playtests very soon. If you would like to be a playtester
of Gridiron v3.0 beta, please see us in the IRC to let us know and please
be prepared to download what might possibly be a 20meg download! The tests
will most likely take place on the weekend and we will be sure to post
news here on the site a few days before tests are to begin. This coming
weekend we may have a quick v2.36 patchable version of Gridiron v3.0 for
testing for those that cannot get in on the full test due to the size
of the full v3.0 beta download. Again, see us in the IRC for more!
NEWS: March 15th, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
v3.0 code in the Laboratory...
Just a quick news item letting everyone know that
test number 47 (ie. 2.36.47) is in the works. There are a few new things
we're talking about adding such as a new tossable spiketrap item. Each
player will get one of these to toss and it will NOT be a huge blanket
of spikes, just a patch... We are also wrestling with the ideas for an
in-game scoreboard and may have come across some concepts for it! Slight
is also working on the final version of the football player plugin model.
New map reworks will take place this weekend and we may be able to have
some pre-v3.0 patches to hookup some playtesters with very, very soon!
Also, I noted a new server that is in Chicago, this may help a LOT of
people's pings and you should check it out soon and tell your friends!
It has been up for a few days and the only thing bad about it is that
it's set for the default rate of 8000 right now... Maybe if enough people
populate it, we can tag the admin and get the rate raised up a bit...
I think this could turn out to be a pretty popular server due to its location...
Get over to the servers page
and check out Lexy's Gridiron!
NEWS: March 10th, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
Website, Preview List for Gridiron v3.0...
I had absolutely NO idea what people meant when
they were talking about truckloads of font tags and such in this page,
but I found the problem and fixed it... My apologies...
The following is a list of possible changes going into Gridiron v3.0:
- Relight maps to make them a tad brighter and lots of misc improvements.
- Fieldgoal brushes made thicker so all fieldgoal attempts take.
- Fieldgoal pass length extended to make fieldgoals from a further distance.
- Endzone brushes made thinner so you don't make a TD before actually
touching the endzone.
- Spawn locations moved to protect teams on non-wideopen maps.
- All maps may contain a room with 'television' sets to watch the game
- With the current maps (greatly improved) and new maps, a full pack of
15 total maps.
- All current maps improved for better gameplay, no more easy TDs in some
of the maps.
- Individual music tracks for each map instead of music forced in some
maps, ie. map4, map10.
- Individual config files with unique roundtime, weapon and ammo settings
- Bot roaming entities and additional bot code to help the bots in singleplayer.
- Location entities to show your location in your team_say messages.
- Misc code fixes on round timer and other minor code adjustments.
- Fix in-game browser to properly list Gridiron servers.
- Grappling hook to pull players faster yet hold for only 2 seconds instead
of 3 as it does now.
- At the start of a map, a battle between the first red and blue players
for first ball posession.
- New graphics and a few new voiceovers and sound effects throughout the
- Additional football player animations for passing, spiking the ball
Updates to improve the readability of the onscreen scoreboard.
- Possibly individual player numbers displayed on each player model.
- Possibly an up-to-date scoreboard actually inside every map.
If you would like to post your ideas or comments on our list of ideas
above, join in the discussion on the Gridiron
More updates to come during the next couple of weeks...
NEWS: March 08th, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
Gridiron Match, New Server Up!
If all goes as planned, the First
Official Gridiron Match will take place either tonight or Sunday!
The match is going to be between 4G and FaS and should prove to be a nail
biter! Also, as we've mentioned in the past, we do not know how Gridiron
v2.35 can be approaching 3,500 total downloads yet there is only 5 full-time
servers with only one server filling up per night. Whatever the case,
we think this is due to there not being enough servers out there for players
to get good ping. So, we're always glad to see a new server going up which
you can see on the servers page.
Of course, if nobody reads our page or tries to populate the server, no
telling how long new servers will last. Always refer to the servers
page here which we keep updated on a regular basis with the latest
full-time Gridiron server list! And as mentioned before, you can get the
GameSpy tab from the downloads
page and you can get Q-plug
for your browser off the servers page!
NEWS: March 05th, 2001 -- MeNtHoL
v3.0 slated for April 2001...
Myself and Valtrain have discussed nearly everything
that everyone would like to see in Gridiron v3.0 and should be compiling
a list in a week or two. We believe that we can have it ready at the first
of April but possibly sooner.
In the meantime, here are a few things that we will be doing here on the
-- Updating the Basic Strategy section to Advanced Strategy...
-- Managing the Gridiron Ladder...
-- Posting the progress of Gridiron v3.0 here on the site...
We have had a new section setup in the Gridiron
Conference where you can discuss what you think should be included
in Gridiron v3.0 but there has not been much activity. We are also seemingly
down to just a few servers even though Gridiron v2.35 and v2.36 downloads
has reached well over 3,000 total since it posted. Again, if you are running
a server, set it for dedicated 2 so we track it and can post it here or
contact us and
we will post the address on the servers
Lastly, as you can see above, we have archived all of the February 2001
news... For those that need to lookup something Gridiron from the past,
the old news link covers Gridiron v1.0, January's news link covers Gridiron
up through v2.30 and February's news link covers Gridiron v2.3x...